Message from the Information Technology Services Department
We are pleased to announce that the UC Irvine School of Law has chosen Google Apps for its new email and calendar platform, simply known as LawNet Google. You have recently received your new Lawnet Google account and can log in and begin using Gmail, Google Calendar, and the other apps, right away.
What is Google Apps?
Google Apps is a suite of web-based messaging and collaboration applications that Google hosts on their own servers. Google provides these applications as a "service," rather than as software to download and install. To access these applications, you simply use a web browser on a computer that's connected to the Internet.
What exactly does Google Apps include?
Your new Google Apps account will include the following services:
What are the key benefits?
- Lots of storage -- You get a full 25 GB of online storage for your email (much more than the 2Gb you receive from the UCI Campus webmail), so you can archive all of your email online. You'll no longer need to worry about deleting messages or saving them in offline folders.
- Law School Associated Email - As some have brought up, although a @uci.edu address gives you UCI affiliation, many have expressed the lack of law school affiliation. With LawNet Google, we've provided an @lawnet.uci.edu association with all the added features with Google Apps.
- Enhanced message organization and retrieval -- With Google Mail, you'll spend less time managing folders and searching for messages. For example, you can add one or more tags, or "labels", to your messages to organize and store them more efficiently. And with the Google-powered search feature, you can find any message quickly and easily, whether it's in your Inbox or stored in your message archive.
- Easier calendar sharing -- Google Calendar lets you and your team members quickly and easily share your calendars with each other and specify the details you want to show. Calendar sharing is a great way for you and your coworkers to keep each other informed about your schedules. Now it's easier than ever to find out if someone is in a meeting, on a business trip, or on vacation.
- Integrated chat -- With the Google Chat instant messaging application, you can communicate instantly with your coworkers right from the Email interface. In addition, all your chats are automatically saved in your Email application, so you can always retrieve important information.
- Real-time collaboration -- Using Google Docs, you can create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, and you and your team members can view and edit them at the same time.